- 250 g Extra Lean Minced Beef or Quorn
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- ½ onion I use frozen diced onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp Worcester sauce
- 1 teaspoon herbs e.g. mixed herbs, oregano
- Black pepper
- 1 beef stock cube
- Add as many veggies as you can e.g.:
- 1 Carrot
- 4 Mushrooms
- ½ stick of celery
- ½ courgette
- 1 pepper
- Chop up all of your chosen vegetables into small chunks (cut them up into tiny pieces or grate them in to disguise when you have any fussy eaters in the family).
- Add the mince to the frying pan and once cooked drain off any excess fat with the colander, return to the frying pan. You do not need to use any oil for this. Put the meat aside in a bowl.
- Chop up the onion and garlic and fry in the pan.
- Now add your vegetables to the pan cooking for a further 3-5 mins until soft
- Now return your meat to the frying pan, mix together with the veg and add your tin of chopped tomatoes
- Add your mixed herbs, black pepper, tomato puree, beef stock, worcester sauce and black pepper
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.
You can also use the 'Lots a Veggie Sauce' for your spaghetti bologanise sauce instead, you just need to add a beef stock cube to it.
- This recipe can easily boost your 5 a day. Bulk up this meal with lots of veg rather than mince to make it stretch further and reduce fat content
- Try adding Butternut squash to this
- Serve with wholemeal pasta for extra fibre, this keeps you fuller for longer
- You do not need to add salt to this, there is enough in the ingredients e.g. the stock cube
- Remember that you can use tinned vegetables for this, they are just as nutritious and keep longer