- 3-4 floury potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 salmon fillets boneless and skinless
- 2 tsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 heaped tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp oil sunflower, rapeseed or olive
- Chilli Flakes optional
- Black pepper
- Heat the grill. Place the potatoes in a pan of water, bring to the boil, cover and cook for 12-15 mins until tender. Drain and then mash.
- Season the salmon and grill for 5-6 mins until just cooked. Cool for a few mins, then break into large flakes.
- Mix the potato, ketchup, mustard, lemon, herbs, chilli (if using) and some seasoning.
- Lightly mix in the salmon, taking care not to break it up too much.
- Now shape into fish cakes ( I tend to make large ones for the adults and smaller fishcakes for the kids).
- Put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in 3 shallow dishes. Dip the cakes into the flour, dust off any excess, then dip in the egg, and finally coat in breadcrumbs. Heat the oil in a large pan. Fry the cakes over a medium-low heat for 3-4 mins each side until deep golden and heated through.
- Pat dry with kitchen paper to remove any excess oil
Ideas to serve with You can serve these up in a bun like a fish burger or serve with a nice big Salad like Calorie Girls Simple Dressed Salad Sweet chilli sauce works well with this recipe. *This has been adapted from BBC Good Food Recipe