Lot's a Veggie Sauce
- 1 carton passata
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- ¼ - ½ onion
- 1-2 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp Worcester sauce
- 1 teaspoon herbs e.g. mixed herbs or oregano work well
- Black pepper
- 1 heaped tbsp Marscapone optional- this will make it a creamier sauce
- Olive Oil/ Rapeseed oil
Add as many veggies as you can- these tend to work really well:
- 1 Carrot
- 1-2 roasted peppers
- 2 to matoes
- 1 courgette
- Peel and chop up all of your chosen vegetables into small chunks.
- Put your diced onion in a large stock pot and brown off with a little oil.
- Now add in your diced carrot and courgette stir in for a few minutes.
- Now add the rest of your ingredients to the pan
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 30-45 minutes (your veg should be soft).
- Once cooled blend the contents of your pan with a hand blender/ food processor or blender until it looks like a smooth sauce.
- This sauce is now ready to use. See suggestions below of how to use this. This will make a large pot so whatever you don't use you can freeze in batches for up to 6 months.
This recipe can easily boost your 5 a day. 'Lot's a veggie sauce' is extremely versatile, you can use it in the following ways: Ideas to serve with
- Serve with pasta- use as the pasta sauce
- Use a base sauce for spaghetti bolognaise (you just need to add a beef stock cube)
- Serve cold as a dip for veggie sticks (especially handy for little lunch boxes)
- As a pizza base sauce
- Use as the sauce for lasagne and chilli's
- Try drizzling this sauce over a chicken breast or piece of fish
- Use this sauce in place of your regular tomato sauce (as ketchup can be full of sugar this is a much healthier version)